The Story of Preston Ray

On our way to hospital! Proud Big Sister!
Todays the Day!

It was week 37 going on 38 of pregnancy.
I was enjoying yet another week of preggohood. 
Thursday began justt like any other day. Nothing in me signaled that the following events would occur. 
The only thing that was happening that week and day that signaled labor was coming, was tons of loose bowels.  But given I wasn't contracting, I didn't hold my breath.
Miya and I went for a walk to 7/11 to get slurpees.  I did some final cleaning and laundry that day.  But nothing out of ordinary.  No special 'nesting instinct'
That night, I got ready for bed.  Shortly after getting in bed, I noticed that I was wet. Then, I noticed the bed was wet.  I was a little confused!  Did I just pee myself? I confirmed with my husband, he too indeed felt the wetness on the bed.  I honestly thought I was loosing my mind. 
Tummy during a contraction.
I got up and was leaking all down my legs.  I ran to the washroom kinda chuckling to myself...surely I was peeing myself.
After about an hour of the 'is this really my broken waters' debate, I finally just accepted my fate. My waters had broken...baby Preston was on the way.
I called my hospital and they said I could come in the morning after get a good nights rest.  Ha...Rest?  Rest at a time like this.  I tried...but to no avail! By 6 am, I jumped out of bed and got myself ready for the day. I began to get slight cramps but nothing major.  I gave my daughter and hubby breakfast and sort of skipped on it for myself. HUGE MISTAKE....I would not eat for another 12 hours...in total i went about 24 hour of no food. I was smuggled candy by a friend during labor though! LOL
Hard work being a Daddy in labor! LOL
I was definitely in a state of denial.  I figured I would probably be sent back home...
We dropped Miya at my friends (my oldest was away for a few weeks) and off we went.  Gary called into work and told them 'his wife was in labor'.
Those words struck me with excitement and nervousness. What if I wasn't?  I absolutely hate false alarms and getting riled up over nothing.   Once we arrived at the hospital, they confirmed immediately my water indeed had broken.
Now looking back it was quite obvious...lol I was constantly leaking clear fluid.  They checked me and I was only 1-2 inches dilated!  My cervix was nice and soft but still quite high up.
They gave me a few hours to see if my contractions would pick up...but nothing. So the dreaded pitocin was headed my way!  They asked me if I wanted an epidural and I replied yea before the pitocin please!  Lol I always said...if pitocin was involved...my natural plan was out the window...apparently it wouldn't be! LOL
Being that I wasn't very far along in labor they didn't give me the epidural yet. The pitocin started and I was managing.  It wasn't as bad as I remembered.  By 6pm things had picked up quite a bit pain wise, but I was OK. They checked me and I was 4 cm.  They predicted I could have my baby by 10pm. Surely I could hold out without an epidural.
Little did I know I was going to have to hold out regardless.  At 8pm my nurses switched. This lady decided to crank up my pitocin to a 18. I was fine at a 16.  Still in control. 18 was pushing my limit and by the time I was at 20 I was at my wits end. Since I have such a high tolerance for pain, she assumed my pitocin wasn't high enough...I should have been wailing the whole time instead LOL

And so the pitocin begins! :/
At 9 they checked me, I was 6-7 cm dilated. There was no way I was having by 10.  I asked for my epidural...and had to wait a long time for it to come. With each contraction I felt much pressure and lots of pain in my back.
Because I was on pitocin I wasn't able to move around...this increased my discomfort in the bed.  By 10ish the Dr came to give me a failed attempt at an epidural. They said 'within 15 minutes I will feel relief'. That hope got me through contractions for about 15-20 minutes.
As the pressure intensified I realized my fate. I was having this baby without any pain relief.  By 11 things were really picking up...and I began to feel the need to push.  They checked me again...I was 9cm.
At 11:35, I was 10cm and began to push.
This was the BEST part. Without pain relief, pushing feels like a breeze compared to contractions.  I pushed for 10 minutes, would have been less but they kept telling me to slow down!?? Lol slow down? Like I want to just push all night' lol
By 11:47 on Friday June 26 my sweet Preston Ray was placed on my chest.  His first cry was music to my ears. He weighed 8lbs 1oz and was 20 inches long.
He was perfect and worth the long and very laborious labor.
After 8 hours of pitocin still able to smile :D
That would soon change! LOL
Recovery has been a breeze with no tearing.  My body physically feels great. I had plenty of colustrum and my breast milk supply came in full and plenty!

So I didn't get my dream au natural non medically intervened labor!  Darn it. I am proud of myself for making it through without the pain relief I hoped for.  Though I didn't get the labor I dreamed of, I certainly got the Baby I dreamed of!
He has been a little gem. He latched right away, sleeps well and is the sweetest little snuggler. His cheeks and lips are so adorable you could eat them! :)
Now he is 3 days old and we are home and happy! I can't believe it!  I would have been going to my 38 week apt today!  Instead I am going to his first appointment!   
There are truly no words for the bliss mommyhood brings. He has brought joy to so many around us!  We love you Preston and are sooooo thrilled to have you with us! 
Thanks for all who have followed this journey. Sorry it's over a few weeks early. I hope to do weekly updates of his growth, progress and my journey from Mommy of two to three!
Stay tuned!!
Daddy's first time holding him

First time nursing him

Big Sisters first time holding him

My perfect little boy!

Preston Ray


On the way home!

Miya's first time holding brother! She was THRILLED


Comments

  1. Congrats Victoria! He's beautiful :)

    Sheila B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! I am just in heaven! He's so sweet

      Delete
  2. I just love him so much! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!! He's so precious man! We love you so much! U have been such a blessing to us!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts