5 S T A R V O C A B



Now that I have been homeschooling for a few months,  I feel better equipped to give a  summation of my thoughts, tips, advice and overall feelings on the subject.

One of my favorite aspects of HS has been to see my kiddos vocabulary skyrocket!
The great news is that you don't have to be an HS mom to reap these sort of results!

So here's how we're doing it!

S I G H T W O R D S.
Each day we go through a list of sight words that are way above her reading level.  When we first started it would just be a few words that we repeated daily. Now we go through about 30 site words and oddly enough she is able to read through the new ones each week with ease. 

R E A D  O U T  L O U D.
  I have always read to my kiddos, but kids books right?  Wrong!!  To broaden a child's vocab you need to read books above their reading level. It's recommended you read for 20 minutes each day to your child!  One of my favorite things to do is to just sit in a room with a book and begin reading out loud with an animated voice!  You will be amazed how your kiddos will drop what they are doing to come and listen to you read!

A P P L I C A T I O N.
Chivalry was one of my daughters site words last week. We were at the bank and man opened the door for me. I said thank you and didn't think much of it. When I got in the car, my little one said 'mommy it seems like older men have much more chivalry than the younger'. I nearly gave myself whiplash turning back at shock by the sentence and application of the word. How many 8 year olds you know talking about chivalry?  Hahaha. Reason being, with a few of the words I try and use them frequently and apply them to our day to day life.


Having a broad vocabulary is something that I have always wanted to instill in my children. However...being a stay at home mom for so many years felt like something I lost. It's easy to think you need to use 'easier ' words when speaking to your children, but that's just not the case! 



Comments

Popular Posts